Camera capture process

May 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Hello.

I have been trying to get your port of the ZXing library to work on some phones we are doing research with (I work at Ohio University in the AIDC Lab) and while appreciate what seems to be a huge amount of work that has been well done, have a bit of a question about your impementation of the camera component.

Why do I have to hit the "shutter" button on the camera? For the Android version (we have a bunch of Android phones that are using the ZXing library as well), we just point at the bar code and the system keeps trying until we manually cancel or it finds a symbol (bar code) in the image. Because we are trying to determine the time between initiating the capture (pressing the "scan" button) and when we get a result (CaptureState.Success ==true), having to press the button to take the picture doesn't work for us.

Is there an option/way to have library work against the current frame, for each frame? Or am I limited with the press, click image, process paradigm?

Thanks and great job on this, regardless of the answer.

KEvin

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Live scanning requires access to the raw video stream, which is not currently available on WP7. It is scheduled to be added in the Mango release later this year, so once that is available I will update the code to support live scanning. Until then you have to use the Photo Capture task or a previously captured image.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM
gbrayut wrote:

Live scanning requires access to the raw video stream, which is not currently available on WP7. It is scheduled to be added in the Mango release later this year, so once that is available I will update the code to support live scanning. Until then you have to use the Photo Capture task or a previously captured image.

Being able to use the raw video stream would be terrific! Looking forward to it!

Thanks for all your work so far on the library - very, very, very helpful.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Have a look at the video at http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Inside+Windows+Phone/Inside-Windows-Phone-16-Mango-Camera-APIs

There is a demo, with source code, on how to do a live barcode scanner in Mango. Uses this library.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

That is awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'll work on adding their code to the project, but it will probably take a while as I don't have a lot of free time right now.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hello,

I used the ZXing lib integrated with Windows Phone 7 Mango live video stream.

You can use it in your app with one line of code.

Video showing the proccess, details, and code example here :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephe/archive/2011/11/07/wp7-real-time-video-scan-a-barcode-qr-code-in-your-app-using-zxing-lib.aspx

Hope this helps,

Stéphanie

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM
I just wonder is camera capturing capacity related to the smartphone barcode reading function?
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:49 AM
Edited May 31, 2015 at 6:31 AM
Windows Phone 7 Silverlight ZXing Barcode Scanning Library is what I'm looking for to scan and read barcode.
Appreciate all the works!

FutureC