Scan a barcode/QR code from a WP7 live video stream

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Hello,

I used the ZXing lib integrated with Windows Phone 7 Mango live video stream.

You can use it in your app with one line of code.

Video showing the proccess, details, and example here :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephe/archive/2011/11/07/wp7-real-time-video-scan-a-barcode-qr-code-in-your-app-using-zxing-lib.aspx

Hope this helps,

Stéphanie

@gbrayut : I sent you a personnal message about it some time ago, but maybe you didn't get it ?

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM

@Stephe : I tried using your library and sample code and it did not work out for me. For a brief amount of time I see an empty frame and it simply crashes and kicks me out of the app. I am using HTC Trophy with all the latest updates to date installed. Its implemented using Lambda expressions and difficult to step through or debug. Could you please show the api usage with function calls ?

Thank you very much.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM

hiasad, did you try the sample app ?

You can try it downloading the source code at the bottom of my blog post.

If the sample app works fine and you have a problem with yours, you can send me you solution, i'll check it out.

Regards,

Stéphanie

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Hi Stephe,

I tried downloading the sample app. When I open the solution file the two projects could not be opened (some imports and target issue) so I could not try it. What I did was get your two dlls and followed the sample code on your blog post. I can zip up and send you the project. I simply have a button and on the event handler thecode from your blog. Where should I send you the code at ?

Thank you.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Hello hiasad,

Once the sample demo code will work, I imagine yours will work too :)
So, let's try to make the sample work first.

I will contact you directly to avoid flooding this thread.

Best Regards,
Stephanie

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I was able to make this work. It works like a charm on my phone and I love the implementation. The issue I had was I had Phone Developer Tools 7.0 and not 7.1. Thanks Stephe for your support. I apprecate it

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Hey, stephe,

I've follwed your suggerestion, it makes me confused. i have no idea with that page. and i found a web, it also talk about barcode. QR code, now i don't what to use, can you some advantages of this?

thank you.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:38 AM
pengdan wrote:

Hey, stephe,

I've follwed your suggerestion, it makes me confused. i have no idea with that page. and i found a web, it also talk about barcode. QR code, now i don't what to use, can you some advantages of this?

thank you.

Hi there pengdan, The sample application here works integrated with the camera in the phone. Therefore you dont have to take a picture and then check if the barcode could be read or not, instead just scan and it will stop and display the barcode whenever it can read it. This has been only possible after the MANGO update so make sure your development environment is updated and SDK 7.1 is installed (otherwise it will compile and crash when you actually test).

Hope this helps !

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM

There are so many sites provide us with free  barcode/QR code scanners nowadays. Maybe,you can buy download one . I have  found one from  http://www.keepautomation.com/   KEEPAUTOMATION and it works well. This company can also provide you with all kinds of   barcode generators,  not only qr codes .you may have a try someday.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Thank you for sharing. I'm all for your idea. Among all types of barcode ,I like QR code best.I've tried lots of online QR code generators and readers. These are by far my favorite tools for making and reading QR codes.
I have found a nice QR code generator
to make my own barcodes for products and it is really convenient and useful.
you may hava a try ,too.